Art fair: These are the top 5 in the world
The world of art is more vibrant than ever and an art fair is the perfect place to experience this creative diversity. These events bring together artists, collectors, gallery owners and art lovers from all over the world. If you are an art enthusiast or just curious about what the art scene has to offer, here are some of the best art fairs in the world that you should visit.
Art Basel, Miami – USA
Art Basel is undoubtedly one of the most renowned art fairs in the world. It takes place in Basel, Miami Beach and Hong Kong and presents contemporary and modern art. Here you can discover works by established artists and up-and-coming talents. The fair is a showcase for some of the world’s most expensive works of art and attracts collectors and connoisseurs from all over the world.
Two of the most expensive paintings on offer at Art Basel:
- Mark Rothko’s “Untitled” (Yellow, Orange, Yellow, Light Orange) from 1955 was up for sale for an incredible 60 million dollars – but no one could make up their mind at the fair
- Louise Bourgeois’ “Spider” (1996) – the work changed hands for 40 million dollars, buyer unknown.
Incidentally, Art Basel in Miami is also a popular meeting place for celebrity art lovers such as Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt, who are given a guided tour of the halls in advance so that they can get their money’s worth.
The Armory Show, New York – USA
The Armory Show in New York is one of the oldest art fairs in the USA and has an excellent reputation for the presentation of contemporary art. Here you will find works by artists from all over the world, including paintings, sculptures, photographs and new media.
Some of the most expensive works sold at the Armory Show:
- A wood panel work by Fred Tomaselli for 675,000 dollars
- Works by Doron Langberg, Idris Khan, Sarah Sze, Flora Yukhnovich and Yayoi Kusama at prices between 18,000 and 3.25 million dollars
- “I Stella” (1964) by Carla Accardi for 325,000 dollars
- A work by Lynne Drexler for 800,000 dollars
- “Perle Fine” (1946) by Bristling for 275,000 dollars
- A large-format bronze sculpture by Woody De Othello for 400,000 dollars
Frieze Art Fair, London – England
The Frieze Art Fair in London is a highlight in the city’s art calendar. It shows contemporary works of art by internationally recognized artists and also offers an area for up-and-coming talent. The fair takes place in Regent’s Park and offers not only art but also an attractive supporting program. Some of the world’s most expensive paintings, which have not only captured the hearts of collectors but also the attention of celebrities, are presented in the halls of this renowned fair.
Here are some of the most expensive paintings sold at the Frieze Art Fair in London:
- A work by Nicolas Party for 1.25 million dollars
- A painting by Rashid Johnson for 975,000 dollars
- A work by Georg Baselitz for 1,200,000 euros
- Works by Paul McCarthy, George Condo and Charles Gaines for prices between 450,000 and 800,000 dollars
Like Art Basel, Frieze is also very popular with celebrities. Margot Robbie, Gwyneth Paltrow and Jared Leto regularly meet for a different kind of shopping on the Thames.
TEFAF Maastricht, Maastricht – Netherlands
TEFAF Maastricht is one of the most exclusive art fairs in the world and is known for its high-quality collector’s items. It stands for quality, history and luxury. Here you will find works of art from different eras, including antiques, modern art and design objects.
Probably the most expensive painting exhibited at TEFAF:
- A large-format painting by René Magritte from 1960 for 35 million dollars
Art Dubai, Dubai – United Arab Emirates
It is only logical that Dubai should not be missing from this list. Art Dubai is one of the up-and-coming art fairs in the Middle East and has developed into a platform for contemporary art from the Middle East, North Africa and South Asia. The fair attracts international attention to the region’s up-and-coming art scene. The first-class fair is also known for some of the most expensive paintings in the region.
Picture credits: Courtesy of Art Basel
If you want to enjoy art not only at an art fair but also at home, you can find great tips in our article “Art within your own four walls”.
Landlust: Luxury real estate in the countryside
Villa location: Luxury properties Villa location
For ski fans: Luxurious living for ski fans
Hotel service: Luxurious living with hotel service
Exquisite view: Luxurious living with an exquisite view
For golf fans: Luxurious living for golf fans
Classic elegance: Luxurious living in classic elegance